Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Patient Father

Exodus 16:1-36

I don't have any children of my own, but I have worked with children and I have four nephews. And, as much as I love children for all the joy and creativity and love that they have to share, they can sometimes be annoying. This is most especially true when they are whiny and disobedient. Today's passage tells of the children of Israel behaving this very way and how gracious God was in dealing with them.

We have already established that the Israelites had some issues - personal problems, if you will. They complained when they were captive, they complained when they were freed; they blamed Pharaoh during their captivity and Moses in their freedom. It seemed as though no situation was good enough; regardless of the fact that their situation was exactly what they had prayed for (sound familiar? - it does to me). They were a tough crowd to please to say the least. Now we begin to see, even more so, just how true that statement is.

Moses had led them out of captivity in Egypt, miraculously across the Red Sea, through the desert - providing them purified water, to an oasis to rest before moving to another desert- giving them water from a rock, and now to the wilderness. Moses ensured the people were aware and thankful that God had made a way for all these provisions through him and when things were good, they worshiped and praised God. But when things weren't good...Moses and Aaron probably had to sleep with one eye opened. The Hebrews were brutal when they were uncomfortable or unhappy; just like whiny babies.

But God did not respond as I may occasionally when children in my care get fussy. No, he did not send them away or tell them to stop whining with the threat of not receiving anything else. Instead, in the way that only he can, he gave them what they needed and wanted. When freedom, water and rest were not enough, God gave the Hebrews food. He just sent it right down from heaven; all they had to do was pick it up and prepare it however they liked. All he asked was that they only take what they needed for each day and eat all that they took, except on the sixth day when they gathered two day's worth to provide for the Sabbath, i.e. more rest.

God sent quails and manna and they loved it - they didn't know exactly what the manna was, but it tasted good and it came from God so who cared - and they were even thankful for it. But the Bible would read a lot differently today had that been enough for them. Of course, they had to break the couple of rules that God put in place for their benefit. God said use all you gather each of the first five days, but some of the Israelites tried to save some. Obviously, that did not turn out well for them; it stank and became worm-infested. He told them not to gather on the seventh day, but to honor it as the Sabbath, but they went out looking for provision that was not there.

But God, in his infinite patience with his beloved chosen nation, simply reiterated to Moses that the day of rest was his gift to them and should not be taken for granted. Then, he even provided a reminder for them and future generations in case they began to stray again. That is not the way I tend to deal with disobedient children...there is usually very little talking going on. But, perhaps I should more often, especially when there is an opportunity to learn from the situation. In this case, God not only provided for his children, but he provided for their children and their children's children by making sure they learned the lesson from their disobedience and passed it down through the generations.

So I pray, God, that you keep me from whining and disobedience and help me to see your provision for my circumstance. Help me to be as patient with others as you are with me. Remind me to always seek your face in times of need and praise you in the good times and the bad. Keep it in the forefront of my mind that hard times are but opportunities for you to reveal your power in my life and there is no need to fear because you are always with me. Help me to love as you love and care as you care, looking beyond obvious faults to see hidden needs. Thank you, Lord, for your Word. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading! Your comments and feedback are welcomed and appreciated.