Friday, February 8, 2013

Freedom

"Chains" Kirk Franklin

I woke up this morning with this song in my head. This is probably because the dance/mime team will be ministering to it tomorrow morning, so I have been listening to it non-stop in preparation. I decided to share, though, because it happens to be very fitting for today's note.

Some additional background information: My daily studies are primarily from the "365-Day Reading Plan" of my Life Application Study Bible (NLT). Today is day 40 for me, in case you want to read along. I like this plan because it tells the whole story even though it doesn't include all the Scriptures. I sometimes want to read ahead because the subject is so engaging, but I refrain in an effort to maintain discipline and focus. However, I also occasionally read the omitted passages for further elucidation or general knowledge and understanding.

Exodus 11:1-10; 12:29-36
In case you're not familiar, this passage talks about the plague of the death of the Egyptians' first-born sons and how that led to the release of the Hebrew slaves. As in the song, "Chains", the Hebrews were tired of dealing with their oppression - which seemed to be worsening the more they struggled against it following Moses' lead. They had resentment toward Pharaoh, the Egyptian taskmasters, and Moses and Aaron. All understandably so. But God was "finally" coming through for them. They had been beaten and overworked and promised freedom for so long with no clear evidence of its arrival, but this last plague, the death of Egypt's first-borns was their golden ticket, of sorts. It was too much for Pharaoh to ignore this time (at least for a while, as I'm sure we'll read later).

The impact on Pharaoh, oddly enough, is actually what has struck me today. It's fairly obvious to see how the Israelites were freed in this situation; they were no longer slaves, released from their torturous lives of bondage to go into the wilderness and openly worship their God. But Pharaoh was freed, too; from his hardened heart, and the task of enslaving an entire nation of people, and denying the power of God.

It reminds me of my current situation at work. The analogy may seem like a bit of a stretch, but it feels like history on repeat for me. In my office, there are insiders and outsiders. The insiders are the head shed and their favorites of my peers (a handful of people total). The rest of us, about twice that number, are the outsiders. We are from all walks of life, doing different jobs within our organization, but none of us are good enough - for one reason or another - to be included in their clique. As an outsider, I feel like a slave in my office; subject to the emotional and situational whim of the insiders (only one of whom I actually work for). But it occurs to me, through this passage, that by doing so much to make my life and those of my "outsider" peers so miserable, they're actually keeping themselves in bondage. The more they keep tabs and nitpick and nag, and the more self-serving plans they make for the group without so much as a heads-up, the more they entangle themselves in the chains of bondage to us.

So I pray, then, for their freedom; for their own sakes as well as mine (ours). I have never desired to be bound to anyone in such a manner and they don't seem to realize how much self-destruction they are subjecting themselves to. Just like Pharaoh continued to be subject to the plagues as long as he held the Hebrews captive. Open their eyes, Lord, and help them see the error of their ways. Soften my heart, to allow me to forgive. Help me rise above and keep my eyes, my mind, my heart set on you as I struggle, in this situation, to continue to be a light for you. And, please God, set us all free from these chains. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading! Your comments and feedback are welcomed and appreciated.