Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Testimony and Wise Counsel

Exodus 18:1-27

There is a very important major theme in today's passage, but before I get to that, I want to point out another equally important concept that was presented briefly. That is the importance of sharing your testimony. God does so many wonderful and awesome things for his people all the time. It is our duty as his faithful followers and servants to tell people about those things. Not only that, but we should tell of our blessings in a way that expresses how they are simply a manifestation of his Word in our lives; how the principles behind our victories are, in fact, the will of God.

Further, your audience should not be limited to other Christians or lost strangers, but should include those close to you, i.e. family and friends, who need to hear the Gospel. This is a tough one for me in some cases because I have always been "the baby" of the family. So, it feels a bit awkward and uncomfortable for me to speak to my elders with the type of authority that sharing my testimony naturally invokes. That is not necessarily the case with those younger than me or my peers, but I have been known to bite my tongue when I should speak up. (We'll pray on that.) That was not the case with Moses in this Scripture. He gladly told his father-in-law, Jethro - the priest of Midian, about all he and the Israelites had been through and how God had repeatedly delivered them.

The best part of that section of the story, though, is Jethro's response to Moses' testimony. He praised God with Moses, and for him. His faith was increased and he believed that God was the most powerful of any gods and he worshiped him through sacrifices. How many people's lives could be changed forever if we would just share our testimony with them?

Then it was time for Jethro to return the favor, so to speak (here's the major theme). As he watched Moses conduct his daily business of mediating for the people, Jethro noticed that his methods were less than ideal so he offered him some wise counsel. He told him that taking on all the Hebrews' burdens himself was not only inefficient, but would eventually burn him out rendering him ineffective as well. Therefore, he advised him to delegate some of that responsibility (recall my points on learning from the good example of our leaders).

What was so wise about this counsel? Well, the obvious reason is that it made sense; in order to get the work done right without having to do it all yourself, you have to have good help. But, the key ingredient to this wisdom was Jethro's caveat, "if God commands you to do so" (v. 23). In other words, good advice does not equal wise counsel unless it is in line with God's will for you. We have to be able to identify and receive wise counsel when it is offered. Then, we have to be wise enough, as Moses was, to put it into action.

I pray, today, that I will recognize opportunities to share my faith, my witness, my testimony with others when they present themselves. Lord, give me holy boldness to say what is in my heart to anyone who needs to hear it. Give me the words, Lord, that will touch their hearts the way you intend. Surround me with people who will contribute to my relationship with you; who can offer wise counsel when I get too wrapped up in my own efforts to see the error of my ways. Help me to receive it with an open heart and mind and put it to good use. Thank you, Lord, for your deliverance, protection, wisdom and love. Help me to continue in them as I grow closer to you. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading! Your comments and feedback are welcomed and appreciated.