Sunday, February 17, 2013

Just As The Lord Had Commanded

Exodus 40:1-38

We oftentimes want God to do things for us or give things to us and we want it when we ask for it (or demand it) in just the way we imagine it, and that - we think - will make us feel blessed. But that sort of expectation is exactly the opposite of the way God really intends to bless us. In this passage, Moses and the Israelites are going about setting up the Tabernacle, in which God would dwell, to his exact specifications. Not a single detail was overlooked or modified to fit their convenience. The way God gave it to Moses was exactly the way it was done. That was the only way God would agree to stay with them.

Now this wasn't just God being picky or difficult. It was really a culmination of events that had brought the Israelites to this point and would prepare them for the things to come on their journey. It was a test of their obedience (of which we've seen quite a bit), a test of their faith, and a demonstration of God's commitment to his promise.

When God gives us instructions, he intends for us to follow them the way he gives them. If he tells us to fasten our seatbelt before we move our car from the driveway to the street, that's what we should do. He may want you to get in the habit of fastening your seatbelt before you drive anywhere, or he may know that a drunk driver will be headed your way while you're on your quick trip. We don't always know why, exactly, God tells us to do some things, but we can be confident that he always has a plan and it is for our good.

As we see in this Scripture, Moses was very meticulous about following every direction that God gave him regarding the Tabernacle. Not only was it important for the sake of obedience and faith, but it was a requirement in order to receive God's promised blessings. Not that we should only obey and trust God so that he will bless us, but we can't properly expect to be blessed if we are disobedient and lacking faith, now can we? God made a covenant with Abraham, Isaac and Jacob to make a great nation of their descendents; to be their God and make them his people. All they had to do was worship him alone and obey his commands. Simple, right?

Lord, help me to be obedient to your will and fully believe your Word and every promise you have for me. Show me every detail that is important for me to know and increase my faith to execute them just as you command. Let me not take for granted the revelations you give me, or the guidance you drop into my spirit. Allow me to recognize them and act on them swiftly and carefully. Remind me, when I forget, that your will for my life is written in your love for me and I have no need to fear or doubt. Thank you, Lord, for your promises and your faithfulness. Please continue to bless and keep me as I earnestly strive to walk in the steps you have ordered for me. In your name, Jesus, I do pray. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading! Your comments and feedback are welcomed and appreciated.