Friday, February 15, 2013

Love In The Law

Exodus 20:1-22

Has your parent or caregiver ever said to you something along the lines of, "I'm only doing this because I love you"? Well, that is pretty much what happens here between God and the Israelites. Now that he has them at their sacred meeting place, and reminded them of who he is and why they should obey him, God is ready to speak to his people. Having agreed to follow his commandments without any exceptions or hint of what those commandments might be, the Israelites surely must have been on pins and needles waiting to hear from the Lord. Not to mention, they were about to hear from the Lord - directly!

So, in a way that only God can, he descended on Mount Sinai in flames and smoke with thunder and lightning in order to give the people his commandments. There were only ten of them, but they covered a multitude of sins. (That sounds familiar; Jesus' blood) Though there were few, they were tough, especially considering where the Hebrews has recently come from. After living for so many years in Egypt among polygamists and idol-worshippers, and probably feeling distant from - if not neglected by - the only true God, there must have been some pretty significant influence between the two cultures and spiritual practices.

In order to get them back on the right track and ensure their ability to reach their appointed destination, God gave them his commandments to govern their daily lives (vv. 3-17). Beyond the fear and trembling evoked by the power of God speaking to the people, I can imagine that once they heard what it was they would have to do (or not do) from that point on, many of them may have been even more fearful or perhaps frustrated. After all, hadn't they struggled enough to get to that point and now they have to modify their lifestyle. What if they couldn't live up to the expectation? What if they failed? What if they just didn't feel like being obedient at some time?

That is why God approached them, and in such a forceful way. He spoke to them directly because he cared about their well-being. It was that important to him and for them, that he gave them direction himself. Moses was there to mediate and remind them why God brought them there, but God had a plan and he needed the Israelites to understand the gravity of it. And yes, the commandments were restrictive in some ways, but they were intended to keep peace, unity and love in his relationship with the Israelites and their relationships with each other.

That is the way God loves - wholly, justly, and unconditionally - even though it sometimes hurts. The benefits far outweigh the costs, though, when we choose God's way over the ways of the world. So my prayer today is that I will continue to go God's way, even when my way or the world's way looks so much better and seems so much easier. God, give me the strength to serve you and only you as my God and the wisdom to avoid idolizing anyone or anything. Guard my tongue so I don't use your name in vain. Remind me to honor you with my time and not let the minutia of my days overshadow the importance of quality time with you. Show me how to honor my parents more and be a blessing to them in the same way you have provided them as a blessing to me. Lord, please guard my heart and mind and keep me from evil and lustful thoughts and deeds. Help me to love, Lord; you first, and then my fellow man. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading! Your comments and feedback are welcomed and appreciated.