Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Rest For The...Faithful

Joshua 23:1-16

 After many years for warring against the various nations of Canaan, God finally gave the Israelites peace. They had conquered many peoples and inhabited the land God promised to them. In the process, Joshua had grown old and was nearing his final days. So, he gathered the leaders and elders around and gave them some final words of wisdom.

Now there was nothing particularly profound, or exciting or even new about what he told them, but it was exactly what they needed to hear. He reminded them, once again, of all God had done for them through the years. He told them again that the land conquered, and yet to be conquered, belonged to them. And, he told them that the Lord would be the one to make it happen. Most importantly, though, Joshua told the people that they had to be very sure that they adhered to God's commands.

He warned them not to follow the traditions and habits of the people left in the lands that they took over; that included worshiping their gods. In fact, he told them not to even mention their names! Joshua emphasized that if they did turn from God to follow the customs of the other nations, intermarrying with them and such, God would remove his covering from them. He would no longer protect them and drive their enemies out of their Promised Land. Even worse, the very people and things they turned their backs on God for would be the same to cause them grief and cause God to wipe them out completely from the land they battled so long and hard to gain.

This important advice is what Joshua shared as his days diminished. God has been with you in your battles, and now has given you rest. But, you must remain faithful to him, or he will take away all that he has given you and let you suffer the consequences of your actions.

So, Lord, I pray that I will forever remain faithful to your will for my life. I pray that I will follow whatever guidance you give me, regardless of how I feel about it. I thank you for my times of rest from the troubling of the wicked. Let me not take those for granted and turn away from your love. Let me not be blinded by the temporary pleasures of this world and wooed away from your miraculous favor. Help me to not forsake the covering of your grace for the hidden snares and traps of sin. Thank you, God, for my life in you. In Jesus' name, I pray. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading! Your comments and feedback are welcomed and appreciated.